Monday 28 May 2012

An Adventure

I've liked the idea of long distance walks for a while now. There was a time a couple of years ago that was pretty dark in my life, and, coming out of that I found myself thinking more and more about walking from Land's End to John O'Groats. I felt I would really see and connect with the island where I live, and get a sense of something completed and a new chapter begun.
Well, despite getting my paws on a few of the first maps that I would need, I never got around to doing that walk. Life, luckily, became much easier and happier without feeling the need to prove myself through physical and mental challenge.
However, the lure of the long walk and the idea of transporting myself through Britain by the power of my own feet hasn't left me yet. I'm fortunate that my boyfriend loves a challenge (see his blog, www.wherethatbenwent.com, if you don't believe me!) and suggested that for our holiday this year we could do the Coast-to-Coast walk. Sounded good to me!
So, this Friday we'll be setting off from St Bees on a little adventure, eastbound across northern England. I'll be posting updates and pictures on this site as we go along.
And after this walk, who knows! I still have those Land's End maps waiting for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment